[AG-TECH] Institutional Venues in the Mud

Richard Lawley ral01r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 11 08:46:25 CDT 2002

> > It would appear as if some of the Institutional venues are
> not working
> > in the Mud - currently both of our University of
> Southampton venues do
> > not work (you end up in the Institutional lobby).
> >
> > Richard
>
> So, this brings up a second issue, but I'll address Richard's
> issue first.
>
> - My "guess" (I'm only a layperson at this) is that it's the
> venues server
>   that's leaving you in the Institutional Lobby and not the
> mud itself?
>   If you fire up the mud manually, are you able to "walk to
> southampton"
>   or
>   whatever your venue is called?

You are correct - I can either use the web interface or type in "Go to
University of Southampton" but I only ever end up in the Institutional
Lobby.

> - I've found response on the mud to be REAL slow lately.  I
> can type something
>   in and it can sometimes take five or more minutes for it to
> "go out."
>   As
>   a result, a statement that I made might have been very
> clever and witty
>   when
>   I type it in, but by the time others see it I just end up
> looking like
>   I'm
>   real slow to catch on (this is NOT your cue to jump in,
> Marty! :)).  Am
>   I correct
>   in assuming that all the mud rooms are served by a single machine at
>   ANL?
>   Could this latency be a result of either network problems
> experienced
>   at
>   ANL or an overloaded server?  If this is the case, is there
> any value
>   in
>   considering the distribution of some of these mud services, just as
>   folks
>   have begun to distribute Unicast/Multicast bridging services, venue
>   services,
>   etc.?  Come to think of it, these venue servers run their own mud
>   services
>   don't they?

I haven't noticed any latency problems, but I have noticed that
sometimes I have been getting disconnected without it saying so.  Come
to think of it, I don't normally wait around for 5 minutes after what I
think it disconnected, so it may be what you were describing too.
Didn't notice any of it today though.

Richard