[AG-TECH] Institutional Venues in the Mud

Don Morton donmorton at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 11 08:32:48 CDT 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:13:15 +0100, "Richard Lawley"
<ral01r at ecs.soton.ac.uk> said:
> It would appear as if some of the Institutional venues are not working
> in the Mud - currently both of our University of Southampton venues do
> not work (you end up in the Institutional lobby).
>
> Richard

So, this brings up a second issue, but I'll address Richard's issue
first.

- My "guess" (I'm only a layperson at this) is that it's the venues
server
  that's leaving you in the Institutional Lobby and not the mud itself?
  If you fire up the mud manually, are you able to "walk to southampton"
  or
  whatever your venue is called?

- I've found response on the mud to be REAL slow lately.  I can type
something
  in and it can sometimes take five or more minutes for it to "go out."
  As
  a result, a statement that I made might have been very clever and witty
  when
  I type it in, but by the time others see it I just end up looking like
  I'm
  real slow to catch on (this is NOT your cue to jump in, Marty! :)).  Am
  I correct
  in assuming that all the mud rooms are served by a single machine at
  ANL?
  Could this latency be a result of either network problems experienced
  at
  ANL or an overloaded server?  If this is the case, is there any value
  in
  considering the distribution of some of these mud services, just as
  folks
  have begun to distribute Unicast/Multicast bridging services, venue
  services,
  etc.?  Come to think of it, these venue servers run their own mud
  services
  don't they?
   ****    NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS - donmorton at fastmail.fm    ****