[AG-TECH] [SEMINAR] "An Analysis of Technology Enhancements in a Large Lecture Course ..." Diane Harley (10/16/02)

Lawrence A. Rowe Rowe at bmrc.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 10 13:53:14 CDT 2002

BERKELEY MIG SEMINAR (http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/mig)

Seminar: "An Analysis of Technology Enhancements in a Large Lecture
          Course at UC Berkeley: Costs, Culture, and Complexity"
Speaker: Diane Harley (CSHE, U.C. Berkeley)
Date/Time: Wed October 16, 2002 12:00-1:30 PDT (8-9:30 PM GMT)
Place: 405 Soda Hall, UC Berkeley
Webcast Info:
   http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/instance?prog=1&group=25&inst=853

ABSTRACT

This research project analyzed economic and pedagogical questions
related to the use of on-line lecture and laboratory material in a
large introductory Chemistry course at UC Berkeley. The technology
enhancements in this course included:
  1. deployment of on-line quizzes and pre-laboratory assignments;
  2. conversion of the lecture chalkboard content to PowerPoint
     slides; and,
  3. broadcast of video lectures, with synchronized and indexed
     slides, over the Internet for on-demand replay.
We undertook a quasi-experimental two-year study (September 2000
to June 2002) to determine:
  1. if the utilization of on-line teaching materials results in
     significant restructuring of staff time in laboratories and
     lectures,
  2. if teaching facilities can be used by more students, and
  3. if the technology enhancements affect student performance
     and/or attitudes.

A primary goal of this study was to place our findings within the
larger context of the institution. Therefore we used a wide range of
data collection techniques to track student and staff behavior,
economic costs, and campus culture. What emerged is a rich, yet
complicated, profile of the effects that technology enhancements
have on the individuals and organizations involved in implementation
and testing.

----
Webcast information and slides will be posted on the webpage
given above before the talk. You may watch this seminar using an
Access Grid node, low bit rate streaming acoss the public Internet,
or other technologies.  For more details see
   http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/courseware/mig/fall02/webcast.html
--
Professor Lawrence A. Rowe          Internet:  Rowe at BMRC.Berkeley.EDU
Computer Science Division - EECS       Phone: 510-642-5117