[AG-TECH] Security in OpenMASH

Andrew Swan aswan at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 7 18:58:27 CDT 2002

Randy Groves writes:
> So - I'm confused and a bit dismayed.  If, in fact, there is no support for
> encryption in OpenMash, it sounds on the face if it, from our just
> concluded session, that it's not a priority for fixing now - since the
> assumption in 2.0 is that the infrastructure will supply the encrypted
> stream (and am I assuming correctly that this will be SSL?).  Which mean
> that implementing a set of nodes using the PIG configuration and being able
> to support encryption won't be possible until late next year.

openmash does support encryption, it just takes a bit of work
to make it work and it is not documented at all.  but if
anybody would like to try it out, you'll need to rebuild
mash from source.  before building get a copy of the descore
library (which is easy to find on google).  place the desCore
directory in the same directory that holds the mash directory
(i.e., so mash/ and desCore/ both have the same parent).
build desCore.a in the desCore directory before running the
mash configuration script.  the mash autoconf script should
automatically notice the presence of the des library and
magically build a des-enabled mash/vic/etc.

-Andrew