[AG-TECH] Stable and supported base products (VIC, RAT, etc..)

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Fri Oct 4 04:14:16 CDT 2002

Another point that got raised was the status of the base products
(VIC, RAT, etc..) used by AG.  In the UK there is quite a bit of
pressure to use international standards (H.263 etc..) rather than
'common practice' / 'public domain' code and so any instability
in the code is a political problem.  Equally lack of support (and
that includes development required for new releases of operating
systems and hardware) is a problem.  Ditto security.

My impression was that AG 2.0 did not include any response to these
issues, because it was an architectural design rather than an
implementation plan.  My apologies if this was addressed on
Wednesday - I couldn't make the third session.

To maintain credibility in 'AG - the product' it is vital that
a funded support mechanism is part of the implementation plan, IMHO.

Let me stress that this is a personal view - it may or may not
reflect the view of anyone else here - I haven't discussed it
with them!

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and
are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take
any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]