[AG-TECH] AG 2.0 - easier operation

Don Morton donmorton at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 4 09:07:41 CDT 2002

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:54:19 +0100 , "Osland, CD (Chris) "
<C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk> said:

> location set.  By clicking on each resource as each agenda item
> comes up, it shouldn't be difficult for the appropriate application
> to be launched, should it?
>
> By this means, the majority of small meetings could be run by the
> participants, without the mandatory use of an operator who is the
> only one who knows the magic runes required to invoke DPPT!

I whole-heartedly agree with this point, and see the lack of a
no-brainer interface as an ongoing obstacle in the AG's acceptance
as a common collaborative tool.  Even if you don't care about the
monetary costs of an operator, the need to track one down at each
participating site inhibits the "naturalness" that's supposed to
be a part of the AG.  The more coordination required, the more
a conference call seems like a better alternative.  My current view
of the AG (clearly knee-jerk after a morning run :)) is a community
of node operators that has no problem arranging meetings, and a
community of users who have some sort of negotiating power to get
the node operators to support them (through beer, threats of
unemployment,
or whatever other "motivating force" one has :)).

   ****    NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS - donmorton at fastmail.fm    ****