[AG-TECH] broadcast quality video

Christoph Willing chris at vislab.usyd.edu.au
Mon Nov 4 16:25:10 CST 2002

Just supporting Chris Osland's assertion about the H261 being more of an
issue than the cameras themselves. We have 2 BetacamSP cameras available
but, after passing through vic, they look no better than $200 security
cameras.

What does work is RPTtv, described at the AG retreat earlier this year
(http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/~delco/rtptv/). We have 2 labs (each with an
AG node) separated by about 5km but connected with gigabit ethernet. We
have full PAL video streaming from one AG node to the other and the
quality is just astonishing compared with normal vic streams. Quite a
bit more bandwidth as well of course.

chris

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 21:00, Osland, CD (Chris) wrote:
> There shouldn't be any real problem as long as the cameras have
> composite or S-Video (Y-C) connections for video out.  I wouldn't
> expect any visible improvement in image quality compared with
> less expensive cameras (say down to the Sony xxx30/31/100 type)
> because the H.261 QCIF encoding itself reduces quality so much that
> the original quality is basically lost.  Once mangled by H.261, I
> can't say I can tell the difference between a composite feed from
> camera to capture card, or a Y-C feed from the same camera.
>
> There is a different question which is how to get broadcast quality
> video across the AG, and that has been discussed elsewhere.  From
> cameras, that implies having capture cards that will take component
> (YUV or YIQ) input and encoding schemes that preserve a decent
> fraction of the original quality - composite, Y-C and component
> feeds have roughly 5 MHz, 8 MHz and 15 MHz bandwidth respectively.
>
> Of course, the alternative is to use digital cameras and (for instance)
> FireWire, and so stay digital all the way ...
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

> Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
> Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
> BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
> e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

[]

--
Chris Willing                      Telephone   (61-2) 9351 3005
VisLab, A28                        Facsimile   (61-2) 9351 1880