[AG-TECH] broadcast quality video

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Fri Nov 1 04:00:04 CST 2002

There shouldn't be any real problem as long as the cameras have
composite or S-Video (Y-C) connections for video out.  I wouldn't
expect any visible improvement in image quality compared with
less expensive cameras (say down to the Sony xxx30/31/100 type)
because the H.261 QCIF encoding itself reduces quality so much that
the original quality is basically lost.  Once mangled by H.261, I
can't say I can tell the difference between a composite feed from
camera to capture card, or a Y-C feed from the same camera.

There is a different question which is how to get broadcast quality
video across the AG, and that has been discussed elsewhere.  From
cameras, that implies having capture cards that will take component
(YUV or YIQ) input and encoding schemes that preserve a decent
fraction of the original quality - composite, Y-C and component
feeds have roughly 5 MHz, 8 MHz and 15 MHz bandwidth respectively.

Of course, the alternative is to use digital cameras and (for instance)
FireWire, and so stay digital all the way ...

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and
are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take
any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]