[AG-TECH] Newb seek a bit of advice

Eric Hepburn eric at mail.aces.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 1 13:25:00 CST 2002

Beginnings of an answer:
I think you should be able to get a view-only configuration working on a pIII-800.
I would start by making sure that you have Win2k running with all the service packs and security updates from windows update....
Then you need to download and install the AG 1.2 Release - Personal Interface to the Access Grid (PIG) option.
The other option (Windows2000 display system) will give you video only, no audio.
After you do the installation you will have 2 icons on your desktop: 'Start PIG' and 'Virtual Venues'

First step I would recommend is running the 'Start PIG' portion.
This should bring up several java windows.  The critical thing to look for here is that you are getting a blinking 'heartbeat' in your audio and video windows.  This indicates that you are successfully getting multicast traffic (a prerequisite for the AG to function).  If you are not getting a heartbeat you need to talk with your network support people about your network configuration and support for multicast.

Second, you can open the Virtual Venues page, register and create a logon and then log on... this should automatically launch the MUD and the audio and video clients.  (Assuming that you do not have video capture devices or USB/Firewire cameras attached to the system your system will not attempt to broadcast video).

Other:  You may need to 'mute' some incoming video windows you aren't watching in a venue to get the performance you need out of your pIII system.  Also, to get a better idea of the operation of the video and audio tools you can do a web search for documentation VIC and RAT, they are the video and audio tools upon which AG is based respectively.

Hope this helps get you started please let us know where you get stuck and we'll help if we can.

Eric

PS.  If I've led you astray with my limited knowledge I'm sure one of my more experienced comrades will help set us straight.