[AG-TECH] Cheap Video Cameras

Don Morton morton at cs.umt.edu
Wed May 29 08:57:57 CDT 2002

"Ivan R. Judson" wrote:

> Hey Don,
>
> Exactly right, the critter cam is a usb camera, just need a usb port (I
> got mine for $69 at fryes), the iBot was more expensive, $139, but it's
> firewire, you need a firewire port.  The USB are more common, for sure.

Thanks everybody, for your input!  I like the idea of a "critter cam"
(sounds kind of appropriate for a place like Montana that has lots
of critters, anyway!!) and may just get one myself and try it out
locally.

Then, I need to start working on the high-powered camera jury rigs that
Marty keeps suggesting to me so we can give you some REAL wildlife shots
now and then!  Marty's best suggestion, which I don't think he posted
publicly (sorry Marty, but it's so funny I HAVE to share it), is to
mount a camera on a robot and have it chase the deer around on the
mountain!!  Would whoever had the robot/camera at SC Global be willing
to donate it for such a noble cause?  Does it have 4-wheel drive?? :)
--
Don Morton                   http://MRoCCS.cs.umt.edu/~morton/
Department of Computer Science       The University of Montana