[AG-TECH] VfW and WDM

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Sat May 25 10:11:02 CDT 2002

Hi Abraham,

It's great news that you are working on installing an Access Grid Node!
Anything we can do to help we'll try to do.

I'm not familiar with VCON or the Accord MCU, but I'll do the best that
I can.

On question #1: VFW vs WDM, this is what I've learned:

Vic is using the older vfw api because it's older code, primarily
supported on non-microsoft operating systems.  Converting it to use the
more modern WDM, or more current DirectShow interfaces to Video Capture
would be ideal, but we haven't gotten to it.  From what I do know, the
vfw API is a legacy interface on most current capture hardware, so as
such it might have lower performance, but I'd be surprised if it was a
full 10 FPS!

Jay Beavers from MS Research might have some better suggestions.

On question #2: Which capture card to use:

We recommend the Hauppage card because we're familiar with it.  We've
also used the Osprey card (at least one model anyhow).  If you are
familiar with other capture cards and can debug the interaction with
Vic, I'd say go for it.  But, you'll get less help from the current
community than you would if you use what's more familiar.  It's a
trade-off, but the choice is yours.

Cheers,

--Ivan