[AG-TECH] AG related Alliance Expedition Strategies

Barbara A. Kucera bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed May 8 09:45:00 CDT 2002

Hi Rick,

I certainly would be interested in joining your expedition as the EPSCoR
liaison, to continue to extend outreach activity to the EPSCoR states, much
as I have with the Access Grid.  I think this will be a complementary
activity to the bioinformatics proposal we're currently developing.

I'll look forward to hearing more at the meeting.

Regards,

Barbara
--------------

At 06:06 AM 5/8/2002 -0500, Rick Stevens wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have been thinking about proposing an Alliance Expedition to prototype
>"Scientific Group Workspaces of the Future".  The goal of this expedition
>will be to form a collaboration between technology developers and end
>users to develop and deploy next generation collaborative and remote
>visualization tools that meet the needs of specific science and education
>projects in the context of the National Computational Science Alliance and
>the NSF PACI program in general.  The idea is to build on the successful
>widespread deployment of the Access Grid and to:
>
>1.  Further develop the concept of Access Grid Virtual Venues to support
>Grid based access to domain oriented problem solving environments (e.g.
>Bioengineering, Neural Imaging and Simulation, Chemical Engineering,
>Nanoscience, and Computational Molecular Biology, Structural Biology,
>Systems Biology, Astronomy and Astrophysics, etc.).  This will require
>developing new ways to host "access portals" via the Access Grid and to
>develop collaborative interfaces to exsiting PSEs, workbenchs and tools.
>
>2. Extend the concept of AG Virtual Venues to support access to
>high-performance remote visualization services.  The idea here is to
>enable Tiled Displays to become first class Access Grid nodes that can
>exploit a Streaming Visualization related services component of future
>Virtual Venues.  One way in which this could be used is to link Tiled
>Display systems to one or more parallel visualization servers in the same
>way that current Access Grid nodes are linked to each other via
>audio/video Venue services.
>
>3. Develop Virtual Venue services that can support collaborative group
>oriented interfaces to instruments.  Targets here could include
>microscopes, shake tables, APS beamlines, etc.  The group interfaces could
>be used for collaborative research and for educational purposes.  A
>variety of specific application/interface sharing modalities need to be
>explored.  One idea would be to leverage ongoing work at ANL to build
>"workspace docking"  capabilities targeting the on-demand integration of
>personal workspaces with AG related group workspaces, enabling AG uses
>to "bring their instrument to work".
>
>4. Deploy a number of domain related resources to the community via
>enhanced Virtual Venue services (e.g. persistent support for documents,
>hosted and remote applications, databases, and other tools), and new AG
>client applications including remote visualization clients for existing AG
>nodes and AG enabled Tiled Displays.  The idea here would be to use the
>new capabilities and services developed in this Expedition to deploy some
>prototype domain resource Grids.  We would like to see these prototype
>domain resource Grids being used to support ongoing research, education
>and training.
>
>If you are interested in participating in and/or discussing this
> [...]

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 244-2909

"It is a shameful thing to insult a little child.  It has its feelings, it
has its small dignity; and since it cannot defend them, it is surely an
ignoble act to injure them." - Mark Twain