[AG-TECH] Development questions for vic on Windows

White, Derek [NCSUS Non J&J] DWhite11 at NCSUS.JNJ.COM
Wed May 29 10:00:07 CDT 2002

As promised here are my first questions:

I am trying to debug a problem where vic stops transmitting after a few
hours. I got the AG source code from sourceforge, and compiled it using
Visual C++ 6.0 (using the IDE, not the command line). I am running on a 2
CPU Win2000 machine.

When I run the new vic, vic quickly gets a segmentation violation if I: set
quality=1, framerate=29, bandwidth=3000, turn on transmit (usually crashes
here), and play around with tiling. But, if I set vic's processor affinity
so it only runs on 1 CPU, it doesn't crash.

There are a lot of good clues for fixing this (including merging in Chris's
fix), but I have even more basic questions:

1)       Is the code on sourceforge really the latest?
2)       Why does the vic I compiled work (well, crash really :-)
differently than the released AG vic.
3)       Should the Windows code (tcl, tk, vic) be compiled with the
single-thread or multi-thread run-time libraries (see Project Settings ->
C/C++ Tab -> Category="Code Generation"). Default seems to be
single-threaded.
4)       What is the status and direction of vic development with respect
to:
a.       Direct draw, display and capture.
b.       AG vic vs. OpenMash vic vs. ucl vic vs. nlsde vic (am I missing
anyone?).

One of my main tasks is to improve the reliability of vic on SMP Windows
machines. I am looking forward to helping the AG effort, but I want to make
sure I'm starting with the right base and have the necessary background
info.

Thanks!

 - Derek White