[AG-TECH] AG on wireless

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 21 15:09:13 CST 2002

We have started running our prototype distributed PowerPoint and
conferencing over 802.11b.

We've found that you need to have very good forward error correction,
adjust the packet timing, and govern the maximum throughput in order to
get a reliable RTP signal over a wireless network.  We've been making
changes to our RTP implementation to deal with these issues.

We haven't yet tried with 802.11a and experiments with Bluetooth have so
far ended in complete disaster due to incompatibilities between
different Bluetooth implementations.

 - jcb