[AG-TECH] VV Server Installation

Luc Renambot renambot at cs.vu.nl
Wed Mar 13 14:58:44 CST 2002

What I did too. I'm not sure if it's really secure ??

> The place where I got stuck with 7.2 was when I tried to actually use the
> venue on the web.  I got an error which indicated that there was
> a problem
> logging into the PostgreSQL database.  That's where I stopped, and backed
> out to 7.1.  I was SO close ...

A solution I found for that one is to allow TCP connection to
postmaster (PostgreSQL server), otherwise it only accepts
local connection. Perhaps it comes from a mis-configuration
of my machine. Again, I'm sure it's very secure, since
everybody could try to access the server (if I understand
correctly only a local connection from the http server is
required).
So the patch, in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql, line 135,
I added "-o '-i'" to the /usr/bin/pg_ctl command:

su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -o '-i' -D $PGDATA
    -p /usr/bin/postmaster start  > /dev/null 2>&1" < /dev/null

cheers,

Luc.