[AG-TECH] Display Machine Performance

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 15 10:29:09 CST 2002

If there's one thing worse than having to confess you've screwed
up, it's having to confess it to a world-wide audience!

Here goes.

All my comments about the latest Matrox drivers for G200
and G450 improving Display machine performance are probably
wrong.  Art Ziarko [aziarko at insors.com] asked me whether I had
looked at CPU utilization before and after.  I hadn't before but have
just spent a couple of hours doing so after.

The first thing I spotted (not difficult) was that utilization was 100%
however many video frames were open (including zero!).  Second
thing was the APServe was taking all available cycles.  As I mentioned,
we took the opportunity of AP-Ware running under W2000 to junk
the W98 machine and run AP-Ware in the Display machine.  Looks
like that little application thrashes around and is what is causing
us the problem.  If I kill off APserve, no sticky windows.  If I restart
it, sticky windows again.

If anyone knows whether there's a fix to this, do say.  I'll be contacting
Gentner to see if they are aware of this behaviour, and whether they
have a fix.

So I really don't know whether the new Matrox drivers are a good idea;
we always had the problem before (but were always running AP-Ware)
and when I did the tests on the Display machine (naturally, as I was
testing for video performance) I didn't bother starting AP-Ware.

Just for the record, on our AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz

	30 'small' video frames + Lobby thumbnails = 100%
	23 'small' video frames = 77%
	27 'small' + 1 'medium' + Lobby thumbnails = 93%
	4 'large' + Test Room thumbnails (about 16) = 40%

[all the above with AP-Ware not running!]

Cheers

Chris O

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44
(0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0)
1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44
(0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44
(0) 1235 445597
CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the
intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show
it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]