[AG-TECH] Last minute equipment questions

Roberts, Ian E ian.roberts at pnl.gov
Mon Jun 24 11:07:17 CDT 2002

Hi Bryan, we purchased our system from Imprint. You've already done far more
work than I ever did, so the time savings might not add up for you as it did
for me. I appreciated not having to look up all the vendors and part numbers
and ordering them all separately. I also had the benefit that it was a
capital funds request from the DOE, so my employer's time was more expensive
than the money used to procure equipment.

The thing I most appreciated about going through Imprint is that the rack of
computers and several boxes of equipment came preinstalled and all (well,
most :) of the cables were labeled for me. It was nearly a "flip the switch"
experience. There was still some playing with the Gentner to get it all set
up and everything, but I didn't have to worry that, for example, my Linux
install wouldn't play nice with my vic software.

As for cost, you might as well get a quote from them. I was surprised at how
little the "labor" part of the charge ended up being. It was well worth the
cost and hassle for me.

~ian
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

P.S. I should mention that the other player in the turnkey solutions game is
inSORS. If you will be getting quotes, might as well get two. In fact, I'd
be surprised if you didn't hear from them after your posting here. :)

P.P.S. By not installing all my own stuff, I was able to use the system
quickly, but I also had to learn how it all works after the fact. If your
goal is also to know all the in's and out's of your system, setting up
yourself might be fun for you.