[AG-TECH] USB Support for AG 1.0

shudo at ni.aist.go.jp shudo at ni.aist.go.jp
Tue Jun 25 19:36:31 CDT 2002

From: Don Morton <morton at cs.umt.edu>

> I've received a USB Kritter Cam and want to run it off a
> machine in which I've installed the AG 1.0 Redhat ISO
> available at www.accessgrid.org (dated 14 June 2001).

My brief investigation concluded that the Kritter USB has not worked
on Linux.  The camera has Divio's NW801 chipset and I could not find a
device driver for it.  Would someone corret me if I overlooked something.

Some of USB cameras are supported by Linux.  I has been happy with a
camera with the OV511 chipset as once I have reported.

  Linux OV511/OV518 Driver
  http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/

  CPiA webcam driver for Linux
  http://webcam.sourceforge.net/

  Linux support for Philips USB webcams
  http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/

The following list of USB cameras is an extract from a document
(Documentation/Configure.help) in Linux kernel tar ball:

USB IBM (Xirlink) C-It Camera support
CONFIG_USB_IBMCAM
  Say Y here if you want to connect a IBM "C-It" camera, also known as
  "Xirlink PC Camera" to your computer's USB port.  For more
  information, read <file:Documentation/usb/ibmcam.txt>.

USB OV511 Camera support
CONFIG_USB_OV511
  Say Y here if you want to connect this type of camera to your
  computer's USB port. See <file:Documentation/usb/ov511.txt> for more
  information and for a list of supported cameras.

Philips webcam support
CONFIG_USB_PWC
  Say Y or M here if you want to use one of these Philips USB webcams:
  PCA645, PCA646, PCVC675, PCVC680, PCVC690, PCVC730, PCVC740, or
  the Askey VC010. The PCA635, PCVC665 and PCVC720 are not supported
  by this driver and never will be.

  This driver has an optional plugin, which is distributed as a binary
  module only.  It contains code that allow you to use higher
  resolutions and framerates but may not be distributed as source.
  But even without this plugin you can these cams for most
  applications.

  See <file:Documentation/usb/philips.txt> for more information and
  installation instructions.

  The built-in microphone is enabled by selecting USB Audio support.

USB SE401 Camera support
CONFIG_USB_SE401
  Say Y here if you want to connect this type of camera to your
  computer's USB port. See <file:Documentation/usb/se401.txt> for more
  information and for a list of supported cameras.

USB STV680 (Pencam) Camera support
CONFIG_USB_STV680
  Say Y here if you want to connect this type of camera to your
  computer's USB port. This includes the Pencam line of cameras.
  See <file:Documentation/usb/stv680.txt> for more information and for
  a list of supported cameras.

Vicam
CONFIG_USB_VICAM
  Say Y here if you have 3com homeconnect camera (vicam).

QuickCam BW Video For Linux
CONFIG_VIDEO_BWQCAM
  Say Y have if you the black and white version of the QuickCam
  camera. See the next option for the color version.

QuickCam Colour Video For Linux
CONFIG_VIDEO_CQCAM
  This is the video4linux driver for the colour version of the
  Connectix QuickCam.  If you have one of these cameras, say Y here,
  otherwise say N.  This driver does not work with the original
  monochrome QuickCam, QuickCam VC or QuickClip.  It is also available
  as a module (c-qcam.o).
  Read <file:Documentation/video4linux/CQcam.txt> for more information.

W9966 Webcam (FlyCam Supra and others) Video For Linux
CONFIG_VIDEO_W9966
  Video4linux driver for Winbond's w9966 based Webcams.
  Currently tested with the LifeView FlyCam Supra.
  If you have one of these cameras, say Y here
  otherwise say N.
  This driver is also available as a module (w9966.o).

  Check out <file:drivers/media/video4linux/w9966.txt> and
  <file:drivers/media/video/w9966.c> for more information.

CPiA Video For Linux
CONFIG_VIDEO_CPIA
  This is the video4linux driver for cameras based on Vision's CPiA
  (Colour Processor Interface ASIC), such as the Creative Labs Video
  Blaster Webcam II. If you have one of these cameras, say Y here
  and select parallel port and/or USB lowlevel support below,
  otherwise say N. This will not work with the Creative Webcam III.

CPiA USB Lowlevel Support
CONFIG_VIDEO_CPIA_USB
  This is the lowlevel USB support for cameras based on Vision's CPiA
  (Colour Processor Interface ASIC), such as the Creative Webcam II.
  If you have the USB version of one of these cameras, say Y here,
  otherwise say N. This will not work with the Creative Webcam III.
  It is also available as a module (cpia_usb.o).

  Kazuyuki Shudo, Ph.D.		shudo at ni.aist.go.jp, http://www.shudo.net/
  Grid Technology Research Center
  National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)