[AG-TECH] AG Projector options?

shudo at ni.aist.go.jp shudo at ni.aist.go.jp
Fri Jul 19 06:19:49 CDT 2002

From: "Osland, CD (Chris) " <C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk>

> An issue that seems to be becoming more important for us is
> resolution.  We have a 'standard' rig of 3 1024x768 projectors.
> As soon as we start a VNC session and maybe a whiteboard or
> equivalent - for a shared visualization meeting - we are clean
> out of 'pixel space'.  The VNC session tends to take up a
> complete projector's worth, and we sometimes run two such sessions.
>
> 'Medium' video feeds require 40% width and height of a 1024x768
> image.  I haven't done the calculation
> but I guess the total size for a Medium image is about 400 wide
> by 320 deep (384x288 plus margins and title).  While I allow these
> to span projector images, it is generally neater not to.

> With the 1280x1024 size, you can easily get 9 medium video
> feeds (3x3 array) on each projector, so 27 Mediums total.

I conclude that the area of projected images is more important rather
than the number of pixels for today's common AG nodes.  VIC can
currently handle only QCIF (176 x 144 pixels) and CIF (352 x 288)
video at most.  If we have more pixels in a screen, we have to
enlarge images without increase of information delivered by the images.
Current VIC can show SCIF (704 x 576) images at most.
SCIF cannot fill even 1024 x 768.
The largest area of SCIF images decrease with 1280 x 1024.
1280 x 1024 is not always superior.

Regarding video meeting using CIF or QCIF format
the number of pixels does not matter.

Of course, I do not deny merits which detailed screens provide.
VNC can consume a large number of pixels.
But, in my personal view, the area of screens is most important
and the next is the number of screens.

Recently, I could have a chance to design a meeting room for video
meeting by Polycom and AG.  There was a wall on which we could put a
16:9 large screen.  I decided to place two video projectors for the
screen, not three projectors because two projectors utilize more area
than three projectors.

Sorry for above statements which are not well sorted out.

  Kazuyuki Shudo		shudo at ni.aist.go.jp, http://www.shudo.net/
  Grid Technology Research Center
  National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)