[AG-TECH] Re: AG Projector options?

Marty Hoag Marty.Hoag at NDSU.NODAK.EDU
Wed Jul 17 22:03:28 CDT 2002

   A couple things are "more interesting" in the AG uses:

   Noise might be important depending on the acoustics of the room.
We have some sony's rated at 34 dB (the old VPL-PX20s) and
at the time we got them very few projectors even published the audio
noise level. Our room is fairly good acoustically (dead) so when they
are on you can hardly hear them.  Having low ambient noise is very
important for your overall audio environment and projectors and PCs
(which can be put in a closed rack) are common sources.  One problem
with projectors is that specific models don't last long.  I've seen
some around 40 dB (I think that would be 4 times the noise of 34 dB)
but I think manufacturers are starting to take that into account.

   The other "unusual" thing is that you are running the three (or
whatever) projectors edge to edge.  That means things like color and
brightness uniformity are important (and I don't think that is a
strong point of LCD projectors).  We have one which has a noticeable
color shift from left to right.  You would probably not notice it if
you didn't have that reference of the other projectors on either side.

   Marty