[AG-TECH] AG Projector options?

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Wed Jul 17 20:08:02 CDT 2002

Hi All

The ANU is now looking at placing orders for its Access Grid nodes. Scanning back over the ag-tech archives I've seen lots of discussion on PCs, audio and video cards, Gentners, etc. but not on projectors - barring a very brief thread about 2 years ago.

Times have changed. I'd be interested to know what people are using for projectors (or rejected), and what features they found they like/need/hate, and how important they'd rate them? I'm not a projector/visualisation geek, so need some guidance :-)

I know some sites are using active plasma screens instead of projected screens - any comments on those?

Just off the top of my head:
 - resolution: 1024x768 minimum, 1280x1024 better (real, not interpolated)
 - brightness: the more lumens the better
 - inputs: (besides VGA cable) composite? component? (analogue, digital?)
 - keystone correction: optical not electronic? (quality)
 - zoom, focus: manual not electronic? (cost)
 - remote control: are there any with serial ports instead of an IR remote?
 - lens options: ability to do ~1:1 (short throw -> large display area) or better?
 - frame rate: 60-70Hz is common. 100-120Hz for active stereo projection
 - filter options: various polarisation filters for passive stereo projection
 - colour correction options: Handling different light-bulbs' effective temperatures, to give a natural reproduction (of whatever has been captured - a separate issue).
 - image flip: floor vs roof mounting, front vs back projection
 - oh yeah: COST :-) (start up capital, consumable bulbs)

What other features are worth looking for (good or bad)? I've also seen people comment on the various internals of different projectors - some appear to have better colour correction features, or better optics, or use analogue or digital signals within the box, or ... ?

Quality of TV/AV reproduction is probably also a feature, where nodes are also used for viewing major sporting events :-)

I'm happy to collate responses and generate an AGDP document if desired - there isn't anything there now beyond a very basic para or two. Please feel free to email me directly, and/or the list, as you see fit. I can anonymise the results if you really want to bitch about something :-)

Thanks for any comments you can offer!

Cheers,
	Markus

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures Project,        | Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au, mail: Bldg #108 - CS&IT   |Fax: +61 2 61259805
Australian National University, Canberra 0200, Aust.  |Mobile: 0417 281429