[AG-TECH] AG Projector options?

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 18 06:05:23 CDT 2002

I'd second the comments about heat, but don't find automation
an issue.

An issue that seems to be becoming more important for us is
resolution.  We have a 'standard' rig of 3 1024x768 projectors.
As soon as we start a VNC session and maybe a whiteboard or
equivalent - for a shared visualization meeting - we are clean
out of 'pixel space'.  The VNC session tends to take up a
complete projector's worth, and we sometimes run two such sessions.

'Medium' video feeds require 40% width and height of a 1024x768
image.  I haven't done the calculation
but I guess the total size for a Medium image is about 400 wide
by 320 deep (384x288 plus margins and title).  While I allow these
to span projector images, it is generally neater not to.

3 1024x768  projectors give you  3072 x 768 pixels = 2.36 Mpixels
3 1280x1024 projectors give you 3840 x 1024 pixels = 3.93 Mpixels,
a 66% increase

With the 1280x1024 size, you can easily get 9 medium video
feeds (3x3 array) on each projector, so 27 Mediums total.

While we don't have funds to replace our projectors at present,
and I haven't had time to investigate which cards will drive
3 1280x1024 outputs, if we were buying now I'd be looking at
this.  We even have difficulty with a regular 10 / 11 site
meeting fitting the 20 - 25 video feeds onto the wall.
We run with about 8 Mediums and the rest Smalls.
We have to resize most of them to Small size when a DPPT
presentation is on.

HTH

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and
are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take
any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]