[AG-TECH] Multicast service model

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 25 15:58:09 CST 2002

Thank you, Lucy, for forwarding the multicast service model draft on to the
mboned working group.  I intended to do it but simply hadn't gotten around
to it yet.

I've gotten a couple of questions from people asking about the
draft.  Having thought about it for a couple of days, I think the draft is
not written as clearly as it could be.

It should be split into two separate drafts:

  - Description of the Multicast Service Model
  - Survey of implementations of the Multicast Service Model

In general, I think we would be better off with some separation between
the  service model discussion and the engineering necessary to support that
model.  The irony is that I was trying to do that in the draft in question,
but managed to fall back into the trap myself.

Why?  Because many-to-many applications like Access Grid want the service
model, and one-to-many applications like Internet broadcast do too.  It's
less clear to me that an IGMP-based implementation of that service model is
necessarily the best or only way.

Watch This Space for a rewritten version of the Multicast Service Model
draft along with a companion Multicast Service Implementation Survey draft.

===
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov