[AG-TECH] echo-cancellation on the cheap?

David E. Bernholdt bernhold at jumby.csm.ornl.gov
Fri Feb 1 11:07:30 CST 2002

On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 10:11:27 -0600  JSalva wrote:
> On another note - if you are seeking to use a small node configuration for a
> personal use within your facility - I know that Gentner has a single port
> cancellation device that supports the same logic as their 400 and 800
> devices - that should cost much less.

I followed this up with Jon & Darryl just now and to satisfy
everyone's curiousity, the unit is the GT1524, which lists for $2500
and includes a telephone interface.

In locating it on the web I also ran across the Gentner VTC AccuMic,
an echo cancelling mic listing for $550.  Undoubtedly one of many
examples which might work in a smaller room.

And finally, I've noted that some of the Polycom speakerphones seem to
have audio line out jacks.  But so far as I can tell, they seem to be
limited to the most expandable models, which are of course also the
most expensive (~$1500 if memory serves).  And I'm not sure it really
provides the capability you want -- I don't think you could play the
computer's sound over the Polycom speakers, and I don't know what
effect that might have on the echo cancellation capabilities.

David E. Bernholdt                   |   Email: bernholdtde at ornl.gov
Oak Ridge National Laboratory        |   Phone: +1 (865) 574 3147
http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~bernhold/   |   Fax:   +1 (865) 574 0680