[AG-TECH] echo-cancellation on the cheap?

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 1 11:07:12 CST 2002

FYI, Microsoft has simple echo cancellation, gain control, and noise
reduction built into Windows XP as part of the Windows Messenger
product.  It's limited in that it is targeted at desktop video
conferencing / VoIP 1-1 scenarios.  The echo cancellation is
specifically tuned for the 8'x10' one speaker environment and it
requires specific hardware -- a list of about 15 PCI based sound cards
in which the speakers and mike are both attached to the sound card.  No
USB devices (mikes or speakers) are supported.

Due to these limitations, I haven't pursued using these capabilities in
our distributed classroom work to date.  I do know there is work afoot
to improve these signal processing capabilities in future OSes, though
this will be a few years off.  I would imagine that the desktop and
conference room scenarios will at some point be covered by 'in the OS
echo cancellation / noise reduction', however I doubt we'll ever see the
'eight mikes muxed plus a wireless speaker mike' of an auditorium /
large workspace handled.

On the topic of 'decreasing the size / cost of an AG node', based on our
work to date we feel it's reasonable to support limited AG participation
(five 320x240 streams) from a desktop.  Our candidate desktop for this
is a Dell Precision Workstation 340.  Cost is around $1500 plus display
devices.  We're also starting to pay attention to the high end laptops,
as they're already to the point where two way conferencing will work and
potentially more.  We're actively testing in this space and will talk
about it at the AG Retreat.

 - jcb