[AG-TECH] Updated 6.2 kernel

Don Morton donmorton at fastmail.fm
Mon Dec 16 11:52:14 CST 2002

Hey Jeremy,

I'm able to run both USB and BTTV (same cameras you're
using) on 2.2.18.  I've appended some of my notes for
the installation - don't know if they're helpful or
not.

On 16 Dec 2002 11:02:40 -0600, "Jeremy Mann"
<jeremy at bioc09.v19.uthscsa.edu> said:
> On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 10:10, Tom Coffin wrote:
> >
> > sounds like you may need a video switcher
> > http://www.extron.com/product/prodtype02.asp
>
> I don't believe so. It has to be a driver issue. Obviously the 2.2.22
> kernel has a buggy BTTV driver. I just thought I'd ask if anybody was
> still using the stock kernel or have upgraded and/or experienced the
> same problems as me with 2.2.22 and BTTV.
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.

 DETAILED NOTES:

    The following steps come from following notes from

       http://www.isthe.com/chongo/tech/comp/pwc/rh7.3.html

   - "uname -r" shows kernel version 2.4.18-3

   - "rpm -q kernel hotplug hwdata usbutils" shows

      kernel-2.4.18-3
      hotplug-2002_04_01-3
      hwdata-0.14-1
      usbutils-0.9-5

    - Created script /etc/hotplug/usb and set perms to 0555
   - Got usb-pwcx-8.2.tar.gz from link on instructions, untarred
      in /var/tmp/pwcx, then copied pwcx-i386.o to /etc/hotplug/usb/

    - Instructions say to use /dev/video0 but, the already existing
      Hauppage video capture card seems to use it and, on a previous
      attempt to start vic, vic used /dev/video1 for the Logitech.
      So, I'm just keeping this in mind.....

    - On both /dev/video0 and /dev/video1, set perms to 0644 (from
      0600)

    - On the "hotplug" test, after plugging in the camera got the
      expected kernel messages in /var/log/messages but didn't
      get the "hotplug/usb/pwc" messages......  However, will keep
      moving.

    - Installed "camstream" as described in instructions

    - Tested camstream by selecting the Logitech and it seems
      to work.
    - Does not seem to work with vic (v2.8ucl-1.1.3-AG) - when
      I try to start transmitting, I get the following error
      messages repeated over and over...

v4l: mmap()'ed buffer size = 0xe1000
Got pict, palette=15
ioctl VIDIOCSPICT: Invalid argument
Got pict again, palette=15
ioctl VIDIOCMCAPTURE even: Invalid argument
ioctl VIDIOCMCAPTURE odd: Invalid argument
ioctl VIDIOCSYNC: Invalid argument
ioctl VIDIOMCAPTURE: Invalid argument
ioctl VIDIOCSYNC: Invalid argument
ioctl VIDIOMCAPTURE: Invalid argument
.
.
.
  Above problem may have resulted from problems in UCL's vic.
  Gary Refka at INSORS suggested I try the openmash version of
  vic so, downloaded mash-bin-5.2-linux-gnu.tar.gz from
  http://www.openmash.org/

  Unpacked in /var/tmp and ran setup routine - selected
  /usr/local/agmash as installation directory, then added
  /usr/local/agmash/bin to PATH (just my user path).

NOTE-cs.umt.edu email not reliable-use donmorton at fastmail.fm