[AG-TECH] PS2

shudo at ni.aist.go.jp shudo at ni.aist.go.jp
Thu Dec 5 00:43:33 CST 2002

Hi,

From: "Nolan, Kevin [NCSUS]" <knolan at ncsus.jnj.com>

> So,  we attempted to install the AG on the PS2 Linux build hoping to take
> advantage of the video card performance but.....  it seems that the build
> we are using relies heavily on the processor and that is not what the PS2
> is built for.

PS2 Linux is just a plain Linux/MIPS box with a 295 MHz MIPS
processor, 32 MB RAM (including video memory) in most aspects.

> It would be a great attempt at building a PIG install on a machine
> for $200.    Has anyone else tried this and would they be interested in
> sharing lessons learned?

I do not have any experience, but the idea of $200 (or $300) AG box is
interesting and pretty realistic.
How about Xbox?

It's not very easy to run Linux on Xbox because of need for hardware
modification.  But, Xbox is originally a 733 MHz Pentium III PC with
modified Windows 2000.  It should be not hard to port a Win32
application (VIC and so on) to Xbox.  The API provided by the OS is
almost a subset of Win32.  The OS does not provide a window system and
instead have DirectX.

I'm not sure whether Xbox is capable of video and audio input.
But, I could find a web page mentioning the method to build a Xbox/USB
adapter, so It should be possible to connect an USB camera to Xbox.

We need a XDK (Xbox Development Kit) to develop an application for
Xbox.  It is about US$ 10,000 and available to developers approved by
Microsoft.

Please imagine AG kit for Xbox which consists of a DVD-ROM including
AG softwares and an USB camera, a microphone and a mouse.  It will
cost $100 or $200 and the whole package including Xbox and the kit
will be $300 or $400.  Isn't it nice?

  Kazuyuki Shudo
  Grid Technology Research Center
  National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)