[AG-TECH] Sound localisation work?

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Mon Dec 2 09:32:18 CST 2002

On reflection, in the context of a videowall in an AG, the audio
out side is not too difficult.  Use an eight channel audio card,
have a 2 high by 4 wide array of speakers, basically with a
speaker at each corner of each video projector's image, and then
set up levels accordingly.  This would work fine if each node only
had one video feed out.  As soon as there is more than one, you
need an audio feed per video feed (i.e. the sending end does the
work) or enough spatial information for the receiving end to do the
work.  This latter allows the receiving end more flexibility in the
way their own videowall is organized, but is much more complex.

All our cards (to the best of my knowledge) handle stereo.  By way
of a start we could see how effective it was for two sites to
set themselves up with all their people in a row, and use the
Gentner's mixer functions (and sub-mixes) to create a decent
stereo image.  Then do the corresponding work at the receiving
ends - all the images in a row, and see whether any decent
localization/spatialization is discernible.

After that, if successful, we could attack the idea of multi-channel:
I can bring a Korg 1212 I/O card in for testing if I can find any
Linux drivers for it that RAT likes!

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and
are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take
any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]