[AG-TECH] AG. cluster, and tiled-display

Andrew Shewmaker` shewa at inel.gov
Mon Dec 2 10:15:22 CST 2002

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 18:19:09 +0100
Luc Renambot <renambot at cs.vu.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
> Is anyone aware of projects (or publications) running
> an AG setup on a cluster of PCs for the rendering, instead
> of one PC with multiple graphics cards ?
> I was told in a review that it's existing for more than
> a year already. I'm curious to know more details about
> that...

We are setting up a AG node/Power wall hybrid.  The projects
we are looking at using are:

http://dmx.sf.net

http://chromium.sf.net

The Distributed Multihead X Project is a "front-end proxy X
server that will control multiple back-end X servers that
make up the large display."  I was not at SC 2002, but I
heard it was there.  The design document says that they are
investigating how to distributed OpenGL and that the
Chromium project may be integrated.  Our node/powerwall isn't
up yet, but we hope to be soon.

Here are some quick links from google about people who already
have this set up.

http://www.avtc.org
http://www.fusiongrid.org/about/news/apsdpp2002.html
http://www-fp.mcs.anl.gov/fl/accessgrid/ag-retreat-2002/proceedings/papka.pdf

Andrew

--
Andrew Shewmaker
Associate Engineer

Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory
2525 Fremont Ave.
Idaho Falls, ID 83415-3605