[AG-TECH] Human factors and AG

Kyoung Shin Park park at evl.uic.edu
Thu Aug 29 12:08:26 CDT 2002

Hi.. some thoughts that come to my mind.
Clearly both points, made by Jennifer and Barbar, are important to look at,
but I think:
"what disadvantages AG-based communication have over face-to-face..."
question is
for finding a technological improvement for AG.
"what advantages ..." question is for research thrust of AG community.

"Dourish, Adler, Bellotti & Henderson (1996) report the experience of two
dyads that used open audio/video connections between their offices for 2-3
years. To be sure, these dyads were members of advanced research labs who
had intrinsic motivations to use the technology. However, they report that
what at first glance might seem to be serious limitations of the technology
(e.g., poor support for eye contact across the video link) are adapted to
over time, and fade into the background as concerns. If the tools have
useful functionality, new practices will emerge to adjust to the
characteristics of the tool." -- Distance Matter, Olson and Olson, 2000.

kyoung..