[AG-TECH] IGMPv3, Source Specific Multicast, fully supported in Windows XP

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 16 15:17:30 CDT 2002

At 03:13 PM 8/16/2002 -0500, Ivan R. Judson wrote:

>Right, this is along the same lines as what I was thinking, however, I
>was worried that we missed the "How do I tell someone I can do that?"
>This detail is lower than worrying about user resources or capabilities
>at a general level.  There are a lot of issues in the "How do users
>agree to share format X?"
>
>These are cool and fun.  Your methods make sense to me, I think the
>question is what are the best mechanisms for negotiating multiple
>capabilities.
>
>-Ivan

I'm not sure what you mean by "negotiation" in the multicast context.

I think of it in terms of "announcement".  The receivers need to learn what
options are available to them.  Once the receivers know what options are
available, they can make informed local choices about what option(s) to pick.

At a user interface level, this could be hidden entirely from the user,
overloading the window-size change operations to select between different
qualities of video.  Or, the user might want to choose explicitly from the
moral equivalent of a drop down menu on.

At a node-network level, this could mean that the node is responsible for
sending (S,G) joins for the appropriate quality/bitrate multicast stream
from any given source.

===
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov