[AG-TECH] upgrade questions

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 2 03:48:54 CDT 2002

I take your point.  We have a regular meeting (every month) with
at least 10 sites - the current UK AG sites - all attending.  This
number is likely to increase to about 15 quite soon.  The number of
video feeds from each site varies from 1 to 4 depending on number of
participants and I normally land up with about 5 or 6 Mediums and 15
or so Smalls on the wall.  I've noticed that this brings me up
to 100% utilization (peaky) on our 1.4 GHz system and would like to
have some headroom in the performance.  I guess I should have stated
my target as 60-70% utilization rather than 30 windows!

However, as noted in an e-mail a week or so ago, I'm also interested
in the usability of more pixels on the wall, since with even 2
or 3 participating sites in a shared visualization project we
rapidly run out of wall space.  This would make it feasible to
accommodate higher numbers of video feeds worthwhile.  Even an
agenda and a working doucument (say one DPPT and one VNC) puts a
strain on wall space if there are lots of sites.

Re higher quality feeds, we are also interested in that, but
compressed D1 requires 270 Mbits/sec so a little compression may
be necessary until gigabit backbones get replaced by terabit ones!

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and
are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take
any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]