[AG-TECH] NCSA "Kids on the Grid" Agenda - 12:45 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Barbara A. Kucera bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 24 10:51:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

Tomorrow is the day!  We have 14 guests who are eagerly anticipating this
activity and a chance to experience the new Access Grid technology.

Participants (14) include:

Rachel                  F       12
Billy                  M       14
Andrea                 F       12
Ashley                 F       18
Amber          F       15

McWilliams              F       15
Wall                    M       13
Wall                    F       16
Jessie          F       10.5
Kymberly                F       12

Hannah          F       12
Phoebe's guest  F       12
Phoebe's guest  F       13
M. B.                   M       16

Barbara Kucera, moderator, and Jeff Carpenter, AG node operator.

Katie Williams from Access News will be present to talk with the
participants for an article she is writing.

The difference in time zones is a little problematic, but I think we'll be
okay since we're in the middle of the country.  Our schedule is as follows,
but we will be flexible so we can interact with other sites as they join
and depart.

12:45 p.m.      Kids in seats. - Introductions at our local site. - Brief
explanation of what the               Access Grid is and why it's
important, then a brief explanation of the social           etiquette--no
criticism of others' opinions, try to wait until the other person
has             finished talking before you start, be polite but feel free
to say what you think.

   1:00 p.m      Say hello to the other sites on the AG and let each kid
introduce him/herself (do               this as other sites join).

   1:15 p.m.     Around Town and Around the Country - Tell us about where
you live?  If I visited                your town, what would be the best
thing to do or see during my visit?

   1:45 p.m.     Teens Chat

I will serve as moderator to interact with the kids and introduce questions
to the local and remote audience, and then let them discuss the issue with
minimal interruption.  The discussion will cover general topics that most
kids have an opinion about--no right or wrong.  The type of questions will
include:

1.  Should parents or towns, or both, set the curfew?
2.  What does it mean to be a friend?  What do you consider the most
important consideration in         friendship?
3.  Should chat sites at school be restricted?
4.  When is a person mature and responsible enough to drive a car?  Should
the minimum age be   raised to 18 years old?

2:15 p.m.       Snack - milk and cookies (yes, milk!)  ;-)

2:25 p.m.       Trivial Pursuit contest.  If other sites are not on when
we're ready to begin, we will
                 start the game as a local event and expand when others arrive.

2:55 p.m.       Begin to wrap up here--thank participants.

If someone has a good idea, we can rearrange the schedule.  As it now
stands, we have a stable audience and a plan.

I hope that as other sites finalize their agendas, they will get something
out to us so we can have an idea of what is transpiring across the AG.  As
I said earlier, we will be flexible so there may be interruptions when
remote sites enter or  leave the virtual space.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Thanks,

Barbara

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 244-2909

"It is a shameful thing to insult a little child.  It has its feelings, it
has its small dignity; and since it cannot defend them, it is surely an
ignoble act to injure them." - Mark Twain