[AG-TECH] New venues

Don Morton morton at cs.umt.edu
Tue Apr 23 07:38:24 CDT 2002

I just want to make sure I'm clear on this, so
I'm going to ask a probably-dumb question.

Suppose U. Montana is having multicast problems.  What
good is it going to do for "us" to be running QuickBridge?
I assume the purpose of QuickBridge, like the MSB at
ANL, is to provide a link between the lowly unicast world
and the elite multicast world.  If we ain't got multicast,
we ain't going nowhere by running QuickBridge, right?

On the other hand, if Monika is running QuickBridge and her
multicast is working, then perhaps we could coordinate with
her to unicast to her QuickBridge and multicast out the
other side.  Or, vice versa.  In other words, unless I'm
missing something, it seems to me that running QuickBridge
is a good, "neighbourly" thing to do, and doesn't particularly
benefit the site that's running QuickBridge (other than knowing
you're helping others, which is good).

So, I can see where coordination might be tricky but, if enough of
us run QuickBridge and create informal regional alliances, perhaps
we can always have someone to rely on when our multicast goes down?

Or, have I missed the boat completely?

Monika,

You could always use QuickBridge!

http://www.accessgrid.org/agdp/howto/quickbridge.html