[AG-TECH] Network level meter to try

Bob Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 7 11:20:25 CDT 2001

Hi folks. I've hacked together a UCL-libcommon-based netowrk audio level
meter for you to try out. It's pretty bare, but does the job. Runs on
Linux, built with Glade/Gtk/Gtk--. The levels it shows should be
equivalent to those in rat (since I snagged the level-computation code
from there).

The point of this tool is to aid in network level equalization. Each
site's level meter should peak at roughly the same level; if they do, each
site should sound as loud as each other site.

You can find the binary distribution tarfile at

http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/AG/Software/Linux/netlevel-2001-0907.tar.gz

to install, download and run this as root:

	cd /usr/local
	tar xzf /wherever/netlevel-2001-0907.tar.gz

It'll create a directory /usr/local/gtk and executable
/usr/local/netlevel.

To run:

	netlevel ipaddress/port

for instance, to watch lobby audio:

	netlevel 224.2.211.167/16964

It appears to run fine on the audio capture box.

If anyone is interested in doing some more work on this, please let me
know and I'll package up the sources.

--bob