[AG-TECH] Reminder on First Virtual Conference in Genomics and Bioinformatics

Marty Hoag Marty.Hoag at NDSU.NODAK.EDU
Fri Sep 7 10:01:30 CDT 2001

   Just a reminder and update on the "First Virtual Conference in
Genomics and Bioinformatics" which we announced back in June.  (I had
listed it with the preposition "on" instead of "in" back then).
The event is on the Access Grid Schedule for October 15-16, 2001:
   http://www-fp.mcs.anl.gov/fl/accessgrid/schedule.htm

   The organizers have been collecting names of people who are
interested.  They have responses from all over the world.  While many
of those who want to attend remotely are not near an Access Grid Node
the organizers have worked hard to educate them on the Access Grid.
We are hoping that will at least stimulate some options for
collaboration that this group of researchers might not have used.

   We are now trying to match up remote host sites with attendees.
I will be writing to some of the node contacts where we have
presenters who would like to present remotely or have larger
concentrations of people interested in this "hot topic".

   Since this is the first year of the conference and it is being
done without any significant outside funding (they do welcome
sponsors though! ;-) we have been trying not to "spread ourselves
too thin" (but if you know me that might be a good thing ;-).  It
also means remote sites may have to pick up the tab for things like
the phone call from their gentner to the bridge (we probably can't
afford "800" numbers for that).

   More information on the conference itself is available at

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/virtual-genomics/meetings.htm

and I've started a rudimentary tech page, including information
we would like from remote participants, at

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/accessgrid/virtcon.html

   Thanks!  Marty