[AG-TECH] Multicast beacon questions

John A. Greenfield green at ahpcc.unm.edu
Wed Oct 24 14:34:39 CDT 2001

Marty,

I started a new beacon on another machine and killed the sagnvideo beacon.
I think the mroute info caches for some period of time, so the sagnvideo
beacon packets should stop showing up soon.

It lookos like this is a beacon software/machine specific problem. I am
going to try new install soon and see if the problem goes away. Meantime
I'll  leave the bad beacon turned off.

John

 On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Marty Hoag wrote:

>    Here is the output of the "show ip mroute 233.2.171.1 count"
> on the Abilene IPLS router at about 14:21 CDT (1921 UTC, 10/24/01):
>
>   Source: 129.24.244.132/32, Forwarding: 15433/9/87/6, Other: 1/0/0
>   Source: 129.24.244.135/32, Forwarding: 301898291/364/90/266, Other:
> 825/0/0
>
> Note that this has seemed to add a beacon (at normal rates) for UNM
> (ag-video.ahpcc.unm.edu according to the dns ptr entry) but the
> sagnvideo still seems high.
>
>    I agree that having a constant rate of 10 packets/second doesn't
> scale very well if every multicast enabled site in the world was
> transmitting in this one group.  I think the original design probably
> envisioned many different beacon servers and groups (e.g., one for
> a single beacon from each AG node, etc.).  In fact, there have been
> others (Internet2, Great Plains Network) but folks have sort of
> converged on using the AG beacon group as "the" group.
>
>    There are some issues with the traffic patterns.  I suspect through
> that one packet per second might still be enough to keep the traffic
> "persistent".  I've also thought there should be a way for beacons to
> shift groups each hour to mimic the join features (right now the beacon
> traffic is different because you seldom join or register).  For the
> AG I suppose there could be a beacon group for each virtual venue and
> when you enter a brm (beacon resource manager) could move your beacon
> on your node there.  ;-)  I'm not sure what the answer is.  Right now
> there are other tools too but the beacon seems to be fairly easy to
> use to see if you are "ok" or not.
>
>    Marty

John Greenfield
green at ahpcc.unm.edu
University of New Mexico
THE ALBUQUERQUE HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPUTING CENTER
Office # 505-277-8249
Direct # 505-277-9545
Fax #    505-277-8235