[AG-TECH] Combining two Systems

Michael Gay gay at purdue.edu
Mon Oct 15 12:21:43 CDT 2001

Date sent:      	Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:19:37 -0500
To:             	ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov
From:           	Mustafa Varank <varank at csit.fsu.edu>
Subject:        	[AG-TECH] Combining two Systems

> Hello,
> Did anybody tried to combine polycom systems with Access
Grid. Would
> you have any suggestions for this?
>
> Thank you,
> mustafa

We have not tried this at Purdue as we don not have a node yet.
As we design our node, I have put some thought in this very thing.
We might be required to use a room already polycom equipped, so
I have been trying to think of how to best integrate the two
technologies thereby creating an H.323 to Access Grid Gateway.

Scenario 1--The cheapest
Scenario 1 would  interface a Polycom to an existing node by scan
converting two of the VGA outputs from the display machine, and
inserting them into the S-Video input of a polycom Viewstation or
FX.  Unfortunately, this means the remote polycom end user only
sees one screen at a time. The AG operator would need to make
sure all pertinent information is on the screen currently feeding the
Polycom.  Unfortunately, this might disrupt the monitoring in the
local AG room.   However, if two of the same video feeds could be
displayed simultaneously on different vga outputs, a separate vga
output of the display machine could be used as an input to the
Polycom, therby not disrupting the screens siaplayed in the room.

Scenario 2 -- More Expensive
Scenario 2 sets up a separate node without a room.  Of course it
would need an operator so it might be set up where there is already
a room.  I call this model the Access Grid to H.323 Gateway Node.
 This node would be set up with one or two vga outputs which are
scan converted and converted to S-Video and then input to a
polycom such as a VS 4000.  This system requires no cameras
and does not require use of the AG room except for the control
area.  The operator would need video monitoring of the remote
polycom video and the AG video.  There may be no need for the
Gentner equipment as the polycom has built in echo cancellation.
For future development, a web interface could be implimented to
give the  Polycom user remote control over some of the Node
fucntions such as sites to connect to and placement of video
images.  This would potentially make the Gateway node semi-
autonomous thereby not requiring a local operator.

WARNING:  None of these scenarios have been tested...They are
merely wild visions floating inside my head at this point.  There is
no warranty expressed or implied.  I may have more ideas when we
get a node up and running.

Michael Gay
Purdue University
Manager, Engineering Services