[AG-TECH] Omnivew Matrix troubles

Jeff Olsen jeffo at llnl.gov
Wed Oct 10 17:47:37 CDT 2001

After further observation and hanging all my AGN machines, I have found
that the speed in which I move my mouse is related to the freezing of the
computers. Moving the mouse very quickly back and forth hangs me up every
time. I have tried two different kinds of Logitech mice (using the generic
PS/2 drivers on all computers) and noticed they control the cursor at
different speeds, so the mouse with the slower response appears to work
better, but is still unacceptable.

 From doing a little reading it looks like the PS/2 mouse communicates
through a synchronous serial circuit, much like the keyboard. Could their
be a possibility that fast movement sends out a all 1's data packet and
some weird voltage level shift or glitch be scrambling something on the
motherboard? Does not make much sense.

I am going to try a bus type mouse to see if it acts differently, if not
the KVM switch is heading for the back storage locker. I will report back
if this works.

I am filing a report to the Engineering folks at Belkin to at least let
them know of the problems I am seeing.

Jeffo

>At 12:10 PM 10/10/2001 -0500, Robert Olson wrote:
>>Yah, it's sounding like it. We've had no problems at all with one of our
>>Belkins, but now that people are talking about this it's possible that
>>we're having problems with a different one (Looking back there have been
>>some strangenesses that I just dismissed at the time...))
>>
>>At 10:04 AM 10/10/2001 -0700, Jeff Olsen wrote:
>>>Maybe this product should not be part of the recommended hardware list.

Jeff Olsen
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
7000 East ave, MS L-541
  Livermore, CA 94550