[AG-TECH] Re: AG video node using berkley mjpeg work

Lawrence A. Rowe Rowe at bmrc.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 15 18:42:32 CST 2001

Andrew Swan wrote:

> =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9=20Mar=EDa=20Gonz=E1lez?= writes:
> > A cleaner, long-term solution would imply major changes
> > in vic's architecture, so that different frame types
> > (raw, MJPEG encoded, etc.) can be passed to the codec.
>
> not so major -- most of that infrastructure is already
> there but was disabled when vic was ported to mash.  i
> think it was disabled because none of the hardware jpeg
> devices that vic supported at the time (anybody remember
> the parallax board?) were basically obsolete and
> unavailable for testing.  somebody with some patience
> to wander through the guts of vic could probably get it
> working again in a week or two (this is true for both
> encoding and decoding)
>
> -Andrew
---
Andrew -

I don't recall that vic ever worked with hardware encoding on the
parallax board - i think it just used the raw capture interface. Vic did
work with the DEC board, I forget the name of it, because Steve and
Lance made it work.  I think it could be made to work and it might take
a couple of weeks for each side - i.e., encoding and decoding.

I don't know that it makes sense to have this work with vic, but it
would be very useful to have it work with the rvic and/or rvc programs
we use for webcasting.
	Larry
--
Professor Lawrence A. Rowe          Internet:  Rowe at BMRC.Berkeley.EDU
Computer Science Division - EECS       Phone: 510-642-5117