[AG-TECH] Idea: AG Remote Control Device

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Fri May 25 11:09:04 CDT 2001

What about a simple "Administration UI" on a dedicated "console"
display?

IMHO, trying to squeeze the number of components you need to manage in
an AG environment onto a PDA sized screen will lead to a needlessly
complex UI.  Being able to take advantage of a larger 1024++ resolution
monitor should allow the different components to be easily visualized.

I've also put a lot of thought into "PDAs in the classroom".  My biggest
holdup with them right now is that the PDA has to be connected to be
interesting for collaborative scenarios and connectivity eats battery
life.  I've been playing with a Compaq iPaq with the external PCCard
sleeve and 802.11b cards.  Even with power save on the 802.11b card and
an extra battery in the sleeve, I can only get about 2 hours of useful
battery life out of the system which IMHO makes them too hard to use in
AG-like situations (too many instances off "just let me bring up...oh
darn, the remote is dead again").

I'm hopeful that new technologies, perhaps Bluetooth and maybe larger
jackets with bigger batteries, might work.  I've even seen a working
custom handheld done for Wall Street about three years ago that added
~16 oz battery to a handheld that was able to do 8 hours of wireless.
But I haven't seen anything yet that's compelled me to say "that's truly
useful and convenient, let's do it."

 - jcb