[AG-TECH] Display Experiment: Different Video Cards

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 29 22:44:49 CST 2001

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know I put out an order for the following cards:

Inno3D Tornado GeForce2 MX CRT 32MB Dual Video PCI $145.00
Asus AGP-V7100 GeForce2 MX     32MB Dual Video AGP $196.57

The idea here is to have 4 heads, 2 on AGP, 2 on a single PCI slot.

These are both reasonably modern chipsets.  At least the performance on the
nVidia based cards seem to have been the best of the best lately.

If this works, and tests go well, I'll report such to you all so you can
consider swapping graphics cards.

The incremental cost would be ~$500.00, which I think is a reasonable cost
to upgrade the graphics on the display box.  If you strongly disagree or
agree, please chime in -- it'd be a good data point.

I will verify these cards work both under Windows 2000 and Linux.

Stay tuned, more details to follow.

--Ivan

---
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~judson