[AG-TECH] Temporary Node Location Advice

Barbara A. Kucera bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 18 11:28:40 CDT 2001

         Hi Marty,

"First Virtual Conference on Genomics and Bioinformatics" sounds like a
great step!  You're right, it is a lot of work, and using the node for a
large venue is considerably different than running a node for small
group-to-group collaboration.  But we have a lot of experience within the
community and I'm sure people will be willing to help you.

As a member of our EPSCoR grant, you are more than welcome to use the
Kentucky mobile node, and I'm certain Vikram Gazula will be happy to assist
you with setting it up and running it during the event.  Of course, you
should confirm this with Vikram to check his availability and to ensure
that there is no prior commitment for the node.  We would expect ND to pay
the shipping costs.

Best wishes,

Barbara
------------

At 05:33 PM 06/15/2001 -0500, Marty Hoag wrote:
>    We have a group on campus that is very excited about using the
>Access Grid for a "First Virtual Conference on Genomics and
>Bioinformatics", probably during a couple days in mid-October, 2001.
>They recently had a one hour presentation on some microarray
>equipment and were impressed with the ability for interaction.
>They have several well known scientists in the field lined up and will
>also be calling for peer reviewed talks and perhaps even do virtual
>post sessions.  They are considering allowing presenters to present
>from remote locations as well as locally (assuming other nodes are
>interested in participating ;-).
>
>    We have participated in several events like this and I know they
>are a lot of work.  Besides the normal organizational issues we would
>have to move our node to the location or build or borrow a portable
>node.
>
>    I found good presentations by Jennifer and Russ on the ANL
>workshop pages on roles and things to know.  But if others of you
>have suggestions, have portable nodes you'd be willing to lend, rent,
>or share pictures and designs of, etc. please let me know or point me
>to a relevant URL.
>
>    As far as handling remote audiences I think the easiest thing to do
>would be for each location to have a local arrangements web site which
>is linked from a central site for the event (I know OSC has used this
>technique for a couple events).  Does that work ok?  Any hints on
>making that easier?
>
>    Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated (including "get
>your head examined" ;-).
>
>    I will post a virtual venue registration request once we know the
>exact dates but if any of you are particularly interested in this topic
>feel free to drop me a note.
>
>    Thanks!   Marty

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 244-2909

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes. - Edsger W. Dijkstra, computer science professor