[AG-TECH] New Gentner Software

Bob Huebert huebert at arsc.edu
Thu Jul 26 18:55:12 CDT 2001

At 5:21 PM -0600 7/26/01, Don Morton wrote:
>Bob Olson wrote:
>>
>>  That would be a great thing if someone wanted to do it. It's not hard,
>>  just a fairly large amount of detail to cope with to get it useful &
>>  right. There are other reasons for doing just htat, including enabling hte
>>  creation of a unified control panel application.
>

>Am I reading this correctly?  Are you envisioning a single control panel
>for vic, rat, gentner, etc., all to maybe run on control machine?
>Strikes me as a wonderful thought (if that's what you were thinking)
>and maybe something I might want to add into my Research Experience
>for Undergraduates proposal (the other thing is a distributed PDF
>viewer so we're not restricted to Power Point in our presentations).

Rolling everything into a single bow would be a great simplification.
What about loading of the machine? I haven't seen any problems with
the linux boxes wrt loading, but the Windows boxes have been
problematic. I suspect this to be an issue with the OS and would
*love* to see the AGN community get away from the proprietary PPT and
create a more friendly  Opensource environment. Removal of the
Microsoft OS' would definitely help our security folks sleep
easier.... :-)

-bobh
Bob Huebert                                 email: huebert at arsc.edu
HPC Visualization Systems Analyst           voice: (907) 474-5751
Arctic Region Supercomputing Center           FAX: (907) 474-5494
University of Alaska Fairbanks                WWW: http://www.arsc.edu/