[AG-TECH] Buying rackmount PC for a node

Russ Wolf russ at bu.edu
Mon Jul 16 14:23:30 CDT 2001

A bunch of us have purchased out computers from a place called SAG
Electronics.

http://www.sagelec.com

They do a good job and they carry Motherboards that "do the right
thing".  Often the motherboards used by Dell or HP have shared resources
on the PCI bus so that using them all at the same time (the video
capture machine comes to mind) causes poor performance.

SAG can configure rack-mounted hardware as well....

The motherboard I recently bought and have been very happy with was a:
Supermicro 370DRE

http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/840/SUPER%20PIIIDRE%20SPECIFICATIONS.htm

here is what I bought in March from SAG Electronics in a tower form for
my Display Box:

QTY     Description
Manuf. Part #

2       Pentium III 866Mhz/133 w/256K Cache Intel
1       Dual RDY, Supermicro 840 Chipset 133 fsb Super 370DRE
         (2) 64bit PCI, (4) 32Bit PCI (1) AGP 4X
         AMI BIOS, Ultra DMA IDE ON BOARD
         4 RIMMS,(2) USB , Wake On Lan
         Onboard Sound and Ethernet
1       128MB RDRAM, 800MHz
1       30GB, IDE 7,200RPM, Ultra 100
1       3.5" Floppy and System Cabling MPF-920-1-131
1       48X Sony IDE CD-ROM
1       16MB Matrox G450  Dual Monitor with SDRAM Ram MATROX
1       Ensoniq Audio PCI 16bit-DAT 32Voice Creative
1       Medium Tower Case, 300 Watt ATX 601-AE Tool-Free
1       (4)5.25exp, (2) 3.5" exp, (2) 3.5" Internal
1       104 SAG Keyboard & 3 Button Logitech Mouse
1       3 Year Warranty
1       1 Year NBD on-site, Banctec Desktop

1               $1,794