[AG-TECH] Newbie-Purchasing Rack Servers

Roberts, Ian E ian.roberts at pnl.gov
Mon Jul 16 13:24:19 CDT 2001

Hi, my name is Ian. I'm a first-time caller, long time listener.

I've been tasked with setting up our AG node. Money is not a problem, but time
is. I've read the "Building an Access Grid Node" and "Access Grid Hardware
Specification" documents, and much of it makes sense, especially the audio and
video equipment.

When it comes to the computers, I'm getting stuck on how and where to go to buy
a rack-mounted system. We'll be putting our rack (display, audio, video,
Gentner) in an adjoining room (in a custom-built box in a network closet
actually) and I need to specify how big this rack is so the box can get the work
order placed.

I'll limit my Big Bag O'Questions to just three (and a half):

1. Where do I get a rack?
2. Should I buy the rack separate from the computers?
  2a. If so is there a recommended vendor?
3. I'm running three projectors, can I just get the Matrox Quad head card?

Thanks a lot for any assistance you can offer. Take care.
~ian

Ian Roberts
Information Sciences & Engineering
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory