[AG-TECH] Beacon and DNS alias

Mike Daw mike.daw at man.ac.uk
Fri Jul 6 09:10:10 CDT 2001

I've got our beacon up and running. In order to have it on a machine that
would not be turned off (because of the current state of our node, our AG
machines are constantly on and off), I'm running it on my desktop PC. This
didn't look very nice on the beacon webview, so I got a DNS alias created.
In order to make this work, I've hardcoded the java source to have the alias
name rather have it go and get the machine name.

a) did I really need to - or was there some other way?
b) might this be a common requirement that should therefore go into future
releases of the beacon?

Mike Daw
Computer Services for Academic Research (CSAR)
Manchester Computing, University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 7026 Fax: +44 (0)161 275 6800
Email: mike.daw at man.ac.uk
http://www.mcc.ac.uk