[AG-TECH] MM100

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 10 08:33:27 CST 2001

At 01:25 PM 1/9/2001 -0700, Jimmy Miklavcic wrote:
>I've been wrestling with that concept for a while and thought I'd try to
>make the
>interface into the AG as hands free as possible for the audience. In past
>lives
>I've used the hand-held, the mic-on-a-big-stick trick and the
>walk-up-to-the-mic-in-the-aisle routine. I was hoping to push the envelope and
>make the mic more ubiquitous. I'm hoping that others might be experimenting.

We've just set up a new node in a seminar room at ANL. We're planning on
installing hanging microphones:

http://www.audio-technica.com/prodpro/profiles/AT853a.html

We have one of these we tried out in our node in the ActiveMural lab (which
has no chairs or tables) and it seemed to work very well. In there, it was
hanging just several feet from one of the projectors, and didn't seem to
pick up much noise.

>The other reason I ask is because we're looking at putting an AG node like
>setup
>into a performance space. There are a jillion ramifications when we start
>implementing that.

Ooh, cool. Well, the mics above are the same sort they use to pick up
choirs, orchestras, etc, so might be appropriate for that. What sort of
performance space?

--bob