[AG-TECH] AGN Computer Specs

Don Morton morton at cs.umt.edu
Tue Jan 9 09:37:33 CST 2001

Don Morton wrote:

> - Display Computer - specs are for 2 64-bit PCI, 4 32-bit, and
>   one ISA.  Given that a Matrox G400 Dual Head AGP adapter is
>   mentioned previously, where is this supposed to go?  Am I missing
>   something?  I'm told that I can get the G400 in PCI, so "maybe"
>   I can do an exchange.  Or, I can run everything off of the
>   G200 Quad Head - is this at all advisable?

Quoting myself above - the machine I received from SAG did have
an ATI 8Mb AGP Video card.  When I saw that on the specs, I just
assumed that implied an AGP slot - bzzzzzt, wrong :)  Someone
has since told me that particular card has the AGP onboard.
I don't know "exactly" what that means, as I would think any
AGP card has the AGP processor "on board", but I'm not real up on
graphics cards.  I'm not sure what's accomplished by having an
AGP "slot" - perhaps it's a better bus for graphics?  Does this
all imply that I might still expect "AGP performance" on this PCI
card?  What I'm leading to is I might just use the card that
came with the machine in the place of the G400, putting the
"heavily loaded" projector on that one.  Does that seem reasonable?
If so, is anybody in the market for an unused G400 AGP? :) :)
--
Don Morton                     http://www.cs.umt.edu/u/morton/
Department of Computer Science       The University of Montana