[AG-TECH] RAT not finding audio card

Don Morton morton at cs.umt.edu
Wed Feb 28 10:51:55 CST 2001

All, to add more info to the equation (please just ignore this all
if it ain't your cup of tea :):

- I am using the Creative SB 128 audio cards (I think, just
  for the halibut, I'll pull two of them just to remove them
  from the equation.)

- I am using the OSS drivers obtained from 4front

- I am appending the output of "cat /dev/sndstat" to this message.
  I don't know what "all" of it means (yet), but it appears that things
  are being found, anyway....

Thanks again, Don

Don Morton wrote:

> Hi all, I've found the likely reason that I can't receive anybody's
> audio is that rat isn't finding my audio card.  Apparently, being
> able to hear a Neil Young cd or a RealAudio stream (which I guess
> operates in half-duplex) is no guarantee that rat will work (which
> I guess operates in duplex.  Essentially, when I go through the audio
> menu of rat, under the "select alternate devices" (or something like
> that section, the only option is something like "No Audio Device"
>
> I "guess" that maybe there's an IRQ assignment problem that "maybe"
> I need to look into but, in /var/log/messages, at boot, I get
> a message saying:
>
> -------------
> Feb 27 15:34:57 AGNAudioCapture modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-sl
> ot-0
> Feb 27 15:34:57 AGNAudioCapture modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-se
> rvice-0-6
> -------------
>
> Does anybody know if these are actually needed by rat, or am I probably safe
> ignoring
> this?

[root at AGNAudioCapture log]# cat /dev/sndstat
OSS/Linux 3.9.4c (C) 4Front Technologies 1996-2000

License serial number: N02680983
This copy of OSS is licensed to Don Morton

Build: 2.2.18-SMP

Card config:
Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 at 0xdf00 irq 20
Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 at 0xde80 irq 18